In a culture where over-the-counter medicines are readily available, it seems much easier many times to just pop a pill. We forget that our kitchen may already be housing some of the most effective and economical remedies. Here is my top 10 list of medicinal foods I like to keep in my kitchen, along with a few benefits and some of the ways we use them:
- Benefits: suppresses cough and alleviates allergies (More benefits; To find out more about honey, read this great blog post by Helen Nichols, "21 Science-Backed Health Benefits of Honey")
- Use as a dipping sauce for biscuits
- Take a teaspoon full as needed for cough
- Mix in warm/hot tea and drink
2. Lemon Juice
- Benefits: aids in digestion; high in vitamin C; relieves coughs; boosts immune system
- Take a teaspoon full daily to help support immune system
- Add a little to an 8 oz. cup of water and drink first thing in the morning to help with digestion and energy level
- Benefits: prevents constipation; high in fiber; boosts immune system
- Just eat them!
- An apple a day keeps the doctor away!
- Benefits: Reduces inflammation; fights bacterial and fungal infections (see more)
- Mix ground cinnamon with honey and butter and eat with biscuits for breakfast
- Add ground cinnamon to oatmeal
- Benefits: Anti-inflammatory; boosts immune system
- Add to soups
- Make this cheese sauce and serve over vegetables
7. Coconut Oil
- Benefits: Just about everything! This is a must have in my kitchen. Read what WellnessMama.com has to say.
- Endless ways to cook with this oil
- Use as a carrier oil when applying essential oils
- Rub on skin - great for eczema, cradle cap, or other skin issues
- Benefits: I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that salt is NECESSARY and GOOD for us.
- Add about one teaspoon to a small cup of warm water. Gargle frequently to soothe a sore throat and prevent infections.
9. Prune Juice
- Benefits: relieves constipation (see more)
- Drink small cup of warm prune juice first thing in the morning to relieve constipation
- Benefits: hydration; more energy; healthier skin; water helps everything!
- Drink lots of it when you are well
- Drink lots of it when you are sick
What would you include in your top 10?