- Conviction – The realization of sin is always the starting point of a transforming relationship with God. Without this realization, we would not be aware of our need for God. When we deny the sin in our life, we are denying God the proper place in our hearts. In the book of Haggai, God explained the current position of their sinful behavior. He pointed out the things that they had neglected in doing and gave His reasons for not blessing them (Haggai 1:2-11). As we serve in our homes, we need to repent of sin in our life, so God has room to do a wonderful work in and through us.
- Direction – God will never point out our sin and expect us to stay in that same state. Instead, He will provide a way out and show us a better way. God gave the children of Israel specific instruction on how to change their ways and promised them that He would be with them. (Haggai 1:7-13). As children of the most high King, we are loved by a God who gives us direction in His written Word and guidance through the Holy Spirit. When we pray and seek Him, He will be found.
- Empowerment – Without the Lord working in us, it is impossible to please Him. Haggai tells us that “the Lord stirred up the spirit” in those that were involved in rebuilding His temple. The Lord will never call us to do something and then not equip us to do it. He will give us a burning desire to accomplish His will that we will not be able to let go of (Haggai 1:14-15). God has equipped you uniquely for your family and home. Take delight in the gifts that He has given you, and serve where He has planted you.
- Encouragement – Even when we know that God’s hand is upon us, there will be times when we face discouragement (Haggai 2:3-9). God knows this, and He is always ready to encourage us when things get hard. His Word is the most wonderful tool to pick us up and help us to keep going. Other times, he uses people or circumstances to help us keep charging forward. Taking care of a husband, children, and a home is no easy task. Surround yourself with Godly people and submerge yourself in His Word, so God can encourage you today.
- Blessing – Sometimes we may not see immediate blessings from our obedience, but we can trust in God. There will come a time when we will reap the rewards. God’s promises are true and He is faithful! (Haggai 2:19-23)
Callings from God can be for a short season of your life for a specific purpose or they may be lifelong callings. Either way, I believe that you will see God work in and through you just like He did with the children of Israel. If God has given you a husband, children, and a home, you are called to be a wife, a mother, and a homemaker. What an awesome calling indeed! Rest in His sovereignty and delight in His presence while He is calling you!
“’I will take you…My servant…and will make you like a signet ring; for I have chosen you,’ says the Lord of hosts.” (Haggai 2:23)